hms iron duke

hms iron duke

Monday, 28 November 2011

Does Germany Really Want to Save the Euro?

Vienna, Austria. 28 November. Does Germany really want to save the Euro? The great Austrian strategist Count Metternich once famously said that when Paris sneezes, Europe catches cold. Today, he would probably substitute Berlin for Paris.

I have just spent the weekend with close German friends in beautiful Vienna. The sense of pending doom was everywhere. Much of the blame for this was placed on the very narrow legalistic approach Chancellor Merkel has adopted in this crisis. Her focus on a ‘new treaty outside the treaty’ is seen as the financial equivalent of discussing patio design as the house burns.

The Euro may be beginning the death-dive from which it is unlikely to recover. The costs of Italian borrowing reached record highs last week, Belgian and Hungarian national debt was reduced to junk status and even a bond auction for mighty Germany flopped. And yet Berlin continues to insist on disaster-defying ‘red-lines’ that seemingly have little or nothing to do with the danger of the moment.

Vienna knows a thing or two about death dives. In the nineteenth century the death-dive of the Austro-Hungarian Empire led to the ‘shot that rang round the world’. By trying to hold onto a swathe of the Balkans its final dying act led indirectly to World War One.  It was the mother of all unintended consequences that swept the ruling Hapsburgs away. A relatively minor shock brought the whole rickety edifice crashing down. Just like the Euro today. In fact it was a miracle Austria-Hungary endured as long as it did. This was due to a mixture of luck, geopolitical convenience and a few able leaders and statesmen such as Count Metternich. Absent of any of the above and the empire’s fate was sealed.

However well-meaning Chancellor Merkel may be, ‘able’ is not a word I would associate with her leadership thus far of what is fast becoming an existential European crisis. The French and Germans last week failed to agree a common strategy and thus failed to reassure the markets. In a clear sign of the times my sources within the European Commission tell me the minor ‘nobility’ of the Euro-Aristocracy who work therein have been told to say nothing that might harm the Euro, whilst being encouraged to consider how best they might protect their own savings. Nice people. Of course, the rest of we Europeans are being left to the dogs. That is what aristocracies do at times of crisis – look after their own. It is the Brussels Onion at its very worst, and there are some who actually want these people to run our lives.

The thing about crises is that the choices they generate are never comfortable.  I found last week’s picture of ‘Merkozy’ instructing Mario Monti, their new man in Rome, quite nauseating. Naked German and French power and electoral politics are clearly at play behind the pretence of Berlin and Paris to be speaking for Europe. As a Briton I also find it galling that the world’s fifth or sixth largest economy has been deemed by the disaster-defying duo simply not to exist. Although much of the blame for that I lay at the door of PR-Meister Cameron who has been ‘outed’ by this crisis as a very little leader of an increasingly irrelevant country. Above all, as a Dutch taxpayer, I find it particularly distasteful that two so narrowly-motivated foreign politicians are deciding the future fate of my hard-earned money.

That said someone has to act. The stakes are now simply too high. Debt defaults, bank failures, single-market destroying currency swings are just around the corner, maybe even widespread social unrest. Indeed, if the investors who have hitherto provided the bridge between what EU member-states can afford and what they spend really take fright the EU itself could be in danger. And yet Chancellor Merkel seems strangely immune to the immediate, the need to reassure the Dark Lords of the Market Universe and fight the fire which is threatening to engulf us. We get lots of strong posturing (finger-pointing, stern faces etc.) but little by way of strong leadership.

Maybe Berlin has made a secret choice; Germany would prefer the Euro in its current form to collapse, the unreformable southern Europeans to be pushed out and the currency rebuilt around a northern, western European core. Maybe it could even include the British. Now there’s a thought.  Did Cameron and Merkozy do a deal?

Certainly, Berlin's behaviour means the very real prospect now looms that the whole rickety Euro edifice will come crashing down. Just like Austria-Hungary. If Berlin does indeed have a Plan B it should perhaps consider one other truism of legalism; the law of unintended consequences. Vienna learnt that the hard way.

Nice patio, Chancellor. Shame about the house.

Julian Lindley-French

5 comments:

  1. An amazing testimony on a spell caster who brought my wife back to me.. My name is james i live in germany,and I`m happily married to a lovely and caring wife,with two kids A very big problem occurred in my family seven months ago,between me and my wife so terrible that she took the case to court for a divorce she said that she never wanted to stay with me again,and that she did not love me anymore So she packed out of my house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get her back,after much begging,but all to no avail and she confirmed it that she has made her decision,and she never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my wife So i explained every thing to her,so she told me that the only way i can get my wife back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for her too So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow her advice. Then she gave me the email address of the spell caster whom she visited.{ideshispelltemple@outlook .com}. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address she gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my wife back the next day what an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my wife who did not call me for the past seven {5}months,gave me a call to inform me that she was coming back So Amazing!! So that was how she came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and she apologized for her mistake,and for the pain she caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster . So, i will advice you out there to kindly visit the same website {ideshispelltemple@outlook.com},if you are in any condition like this,or you have any problem related to "bringing your ex back. So thanks to the ideshispelltemple for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again.{ideshispelltemple@outlook.c om}
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Name is TRACY, From United Kingdom. I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this man called dr ideshi has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell, I was married to this man called Steven we were together for a long time and we loved our self’s but when I was unable to give him a child for 2 years he left me and told me he can’t continue anymore then I was now looking for ways to get him back until a friend of mine told me about this man and gave his contact email, then you won't believe this when I contacted this man on my problems he prepared this spell cast and bring my lost husband back, and after a month I miss my month and go for a test and the result stated am pregnant am happy today am a mother of a baby girl, thank you once again the great dr ideshi for what you have done for me, if you are out there passing through any of this problems listed below:

    1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
    yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) How you been scammed and you want to recover you lost money
    - you can contact hem via: email omofumaspelltemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my good people of the world My name is mason schroeder i live in Australia and I’am happily married with
    a lovely husband and two children.I had a very big problem with my husband few months ago,to the extent that she
    even packed her things away from me and my kids for almost 5 months,and i tried all my possible best and effort to
    bring her back.I discussed it with a very good friend of mine,and he gave me an advice concerning a spell caster,and i
    quote.There’s someone who can handle your situation,he’s always ready and able to do anything related to spell
    casting,i will like you to contact him call Dr.lidya which is as follows ancient benin shrine I never believed in spell
    casting,but he convinced me and i had no choice than to follow his advice,because i never dream t of loosing my lovely
    Husband.And that’s how i contacted him with his email address lidyalovespell@gmail.com, and i discussed with
    him and so surprisingly,he told me that I’ll get my husband back a day after.so i never believed,until when i got
    home,the next day,my husband called me to inform me that she was coming back..So Amazing that’s how i got my
    back through spell casting and our relationship was now stronger than husband how it was before.One of the price i
    was asked to pay was to tell it to people around me that problems like this,can always be solved by ancient benin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Thanks to Dr Ofemo for helping me when i needed help.
    My name is frank Marian from USA I never
    believe in love spells until I experience Dr.
    DR Ofemo temple, and after he cast a love spell for me
    my Ex called me to apologize for the pain that she has
    caused me and till today we are living a happy family,
    if you need a right place to solve your problems
    contact DR Ofemospelltemple@gmail.com is the right choice. he is a great man that have been casting spells with years of experience, he cast spells for different purposes like:

    (1)If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)You want women/ men to run after you.
    (5)If you want a child.
    (6)[You want to be rich.
    (7)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours
    forever.
    (8)If you need financial assistance.
    (9)Herbal care

    Contact him today on: drofemospelltemple@gmail.com or you can contact him through his website on http://drofemospelltemple.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEWARE OF THESE SCAMS!!! DR MALAIKA ODOGWU IS THE ONLY SPELL CASTER TO TRUST!( odogwumalaika@gmail.com ) will be of great help to you.
    I never believed in spell casting but After 4 years of dating my hobby, he left me because I lost my womb . I felt like my life has come
    to an end, I almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to the spell caster called Dr malaika whom i met
    online after my friend Tracy told me about how he helped her. She testified about how Dr Malaika brought back her Ex in less than 3 days
    and reversed the effect of her lost womb, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Malaika's email address.
    I decided to give Dr malaika a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problems to him. In just 3 days, my
    Hubby came begging. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than before, am pregnant now to God be the glory. Dr Malaika is really
    a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... Come to think of it I didn't pay much and all I have to do
    is send him little 250 dollars which he used in providing the materials used for the spell. Even my pastor said that God works mysteriously,
    that some men are used by God to help others. If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your
    problems for you. Contact Dr malaika anytime, he is the answer to your problems. Here's his contact odogwumalaika@gmail.com +2348097302201

    ReplyDelete