hms iron duke

hms iron duke

Wednesday 2 June 2021

Benji


June 2nd, 2021.  Today, I did something which every pet owner dreads. I decided to put my beloved cat, Benji, to sleep.  The decision came suddenly. Last week I had thought Benji to be a healthy and happy cat.  He had to go into the vet for some minor dental treatment but he would be out the same day and fully recovered within twenty-four hours, we were told. It was not to be.  After a week of unexpected suffering and Herculean efforts by my wife to find a cure this afternoon it was discovered that Benji suffered from an incurable illness.  It would not kill him overnight but would in the end take his life after a painful decline. Benji was always my cat, my little lad, with whom I had developed an incredible bond since we rescued him from a cat sanctuary several years to go. As a young cat he had spent a winter on Dutch streets and survived.  He was smart, tough and incredibly loving and to me he was very,very special.  Indeed, I would go as far as to say he was one of the loves of my life.  I had always said I would be with him when he died but I had hoped it would be several years hence. Today, I held his head and stroked him as he went and as he slipped into death he gave me one last affectionate head butt. Rest in peace, my little lad. Will will miss you, but you will always be in our broken hearts. Your loving dad, Julian 

2 comments:

  1. I've been there. Very upsetting. Deep commiserations....it's the price one pays for having a pet you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there many times over the years. Non animal lovers struggle to understand our grief though that's their loss I fear because to never knew the love of (and the reciprocal love of) a pet is to miss out on such a momentous thing in life. Sad people. Sincerest condolences sir.

    ReplyDelete